Tofu scrambles are one of the highest-protein vegan breakfast options out there—it's a bonus that they're so speedy to throw together. Get the recipe below.
Per one serving: 31 grams protein
TURMERIC TOFU SCRAMBLE
(egg-free, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free)
- 1/2 package (15 oz.) organic firm tofu (sprouted is great too)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper (MUST)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk or Veganaise
- grape seed oil for cooking
- bunch of baby spinach
- cherry tomatoes
- avocado toast*
NOTE: if serving cherry tomatoes along with this recipe, prepare those separately in another pan and just cook over a bit of oil or roast in the oven.
- Drain the tofu from the water and break the tofu into small crumbs. (I slice the tofu into chunks first, put into a bowl and press with a fork to get smaller crumbs.)
- Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, pepper, salt and milk and stir well.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. (I use a cast iron pan for this always).
- Add the tofu into the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the baby spinach and cover with a lid to allow the heat to steam the spinach. Turn the heat off when you do this and uncover and stir a couple times more.
- Serve hot with cherry tomatoes and avocado toast. (red peppers or other veggies also work great, but tomatoes are much quicker to cook and the focus here is 5 minutes!) :)
The Source of Article: Ella